The Old Chapel c1916

History of the Old Chapel

May 1800 – building work was completed by Samuel Hammond and the first service held on Sunday, 8 June, 1800. The building was known as the ‘Church of Protestant Dissenters’

1803 – the freehold of the site was purchased for £23

1803 – the gallery was extended at a cost of £45, the ‘old’ part of the gallery being used to seat children

1819 – the trustees purchased from James Nokes, the then proprietor of Hill House, a small piece of land on the southern boundary and the body of the Chapel was extended by 16 foot and a vestry was added

1847 – the Chapel underwent repairs and a new brick front was added to the north elevation

1873 – the Chapel was extensively refurbished, reopening on 16th September at a total cost of £402, paid from the estate of Mary Joslin

The new rector of St Laurence’s Church, Philip Holden, married his mistress causing further distress to his parishioners and resulting in more support for the Congregationalist Church

November 1909 – a church meeting decided to seek larger premises for the increasing congregation

1911 – the Congregational Church moved to new premises in Station Road and the Chapel was sold to the Plymouth Brethren for £400

1979 – the building was listed Grade II

1988 – the Brethren congregation stopped using the Chapel for services

1992 – the trusteeship of the Old Chapel passed into the hands of Havering Christian Fellowship (HCF)

2005 – the Upminster Convent PTFA purchased the Old Chapel from HCF

Pre-renovation photos

April 2007 – the Old Chapel was awarded a Heritage Lottery Fund (HLF) Project Planning Grant (PPG)

2011 – HLF awarded a heritage project grant to the Old Chapel following a successful bid submission

Late 2011 – Early 2012 – The renovation and building works are started

March 2013 – The building works are complete and the Chapel is officially re-opened