There is an organised programme of preparation for higher education, apprenticeships and employment delivered by the Head of Sixth Form and Assistant Head of Sixth Form, the Head of Year 12 and form tutors. In addition, information evenings for parents take place in Years 12 and 13. Speakers are invited from universities, apprenticeship schemes, professions and the worlds of business and finance. Students are encouraged to take part in open days and taster courses. There is a dedicated class to support students who are seeking employment and apprenticeship opportunities. Successful alumni are often invited to speak to students.
We are fortunate to be one of the first schools to take part in the ‘Join the Dots’ programme which is run by the Brilliant Club. It involves mentoring and coaching to help pupils bridge the gap between school and university.
Pupils have the opportunity to take part in the ‘I can you can too’ scheme. This is a new programme which aims to help pupils secure apprenticeships and university places. It involves coaching, mentoring, and special projects outside school. Pupils can apply to take part in the programme in the Autumn term.
All pupils in years 12-13 are entitled:
- To find out about technical education qualifications and apprenticeships opportunities, as part of a careers programme which provides information on the full range of education and training options available at each transition point;
- To hear from a range of local providers about the opportunities they offer, including technical education and apprenticeships – through options events, assemblies and group discussions and taster events;
- To understand how to make applications for the full range of academic and technical courses.
All pupils at Sacred Heart of Mary Girls’ School take part in a careers programme that:
- Is stable and appropriate for all students
- Offers encounters with employers, employees, further and higher education institutions
- Supports students to develop the skills that are required to be successful in their future pathway
Careers CP Programme
At Sacred Heart of Mary Girls’ School, we offer an extensive tutor programme. CP is a dedicated period in tutor groups to discuss relevant careers topics.
What will they cover?
Gatsby Benchmark Link
|12||Start online learning modules covering:|
|● Get on the front foot for apprenticeship and
● Post 18 – an overview of your options
● Post 18 – choosing the right apprenticeship
● Post 18 – choosing the right university course
● Your next move (Post 18)
|12||Speakers and CP Tutor Sessions:|
|● VESPA – start with vision for future and motivation
● Work experience
● Oxbridge talk/prep and visits from Queen’s college
● Cambridge university
● Medics talk
● Lessons on personal statements and UCAS prep
● Talk on apprenticeships
|13||Start online learning modules covering:|
|● Create your personal development plan
● How do employers advertise jobs?
● How to prepare for an interview
● How to write your CV
|13||Speakers and CP Tutor Sessions:||5|
|● Employment group or UCAS
● Practice Interviews
● University experience
● University Finance
● Managing your money
● What happens next? – Extra, Adjustment, clearing
Every year we organise a Careers Fair where we invite employers, universities and colleges to come in and speak to students and parents. This will give students a vital networking opportunity with these contacts. This year’s Careers Fair will take place on 9th March 2023, 5.30 -7.30pm, here at school for parents and students to attend.
Start is a free and comprehensive digital platform, offering schools a single starting point to help simplify and improve careers guidance in schools.
By following Start’s structured and progressive activities, the platform caters for all students helping them to make more informed decisions about future study and career options at the right time and in good time.
- Comprehensive, up-to-date information
- A flexible framework for delivering careers Year 7-13
- Help students transition from education to employment
- Promote the importance of employability
- Meet statutory duties and Gatsby benchmarks
- Monitor student engagement and activity
- Evidence and improve provision
Start brings together much of the functionality and content provided by other sites, all in to one place. For example, it includes tools such as job suitability profiling and an online record of achievement; as well as content including job profiles, apprenticeship vacancies and course information for all post-16 and 18 providers. Start comes with a structure to guide students (and teachers) through how and when to use the platform. On Start, these are called Modules and students work through them throughout their time at school and college. They are designed to guide students through all the information on Start and ensure that they’re prepared for their next moment of choice
The icanyoucantoo mentoring and coaching programme takes place over regular fortnightly sessions, across a single academic year, for selected Year-12 students.
Icanyoucantoo intends to:
- Provide access to a variety of real role models
- Give opportunities and access to a variety of industries, professions and work locations
- Coach practical skills required for higher education and the workplace
You will visit our Careers Advisor Mrs. Jarvis once during your time in the 6th Form. Further meetings can be arranged if needed.
Careers Google Classroom
Any student can join the above Careers Google Classroom. They can then view and apply for a range of work experience opportunities. We also include a wide range of online learning that can help broaden a students’ knowledge and give them the edge in future applications for work or university.
If you have any queries regarding careers in sixth form please contact any of the following:
Head of Sixth Form: Ms A Holman [email protected]
Head of Business & Careers: Mr. A Sterling [email protected]
Careers Admin: Mrs. K Bradley [email protected]